JOB TITLE: Development Director
SUPERVISED BY: Executive Director
HOURS: Full-time, exempt
Founded in 1990, Safe Haven Ministries’ mission is motivated by Christ’s love to end domestic abuse
We do this by providing hope, healing and refuge for victims and survivors of domestic abuse.
Revenues: $1.2-$1.7 million
For more information, please visit www.safehavenministries.org
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers confidential emergency shelter for women and children fleeing domestic violence; support groups, individual supportive counseling, and advocacy for women and children who do not require shelter; and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
This position is responsible for the oversight of all annual fund, major gift, and planned giving activities and includes identifying, researching and securing funds available through individuals, foundations, and businesses and the oversight of development staff and volunteers and processes. Qualified candidates will have proven success in managing various volunteer committees and the ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment. Prefer a minimum of five years fundraising experience.
Essential Functions include (but are not limited to):
- Work collaboratively with the Board, Executive Director and/or Resource Development teams to determine annual and long-term resource development objectives. Create and manage strategic and detailed plans that meet annual and long-term resource development objectives
- Recruit and renew donor development committee and event committee members and ensure they have appropriate tools, training and support to be effective and efficient in their work on the organization’s behalf
- Create and provide monthly reports to management on resource development activities and status
- Work collaboratively with the Development Coordinator/Database Manager to ensure effective utilization of the donor database, including the efficiency of donor acknowledgment letters and the creation of accurate reports
- Oversee the direct mail process and communication calendar to ensure best practices are being met or exceeded
- Oversee all aspects of the fundraising events. Assist in creation of all goals and the annual review of how all events work into the overall development plan and strategy
- Carry a case load of major donors and actively participate in their recruitment, renewal, and cultivation
- Bachelor’s degree
- Previous experience within a Fund Development setting of a non-profit organization
- Strong ability to communicate, both written and verbally, about the organization and its mission
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a resource development team
- Ability to interact with all levels of constituents including board, donors, community leaders
- Required skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, email, and general internet functions
- Some comfort with Social Media and GiftWorks donor database preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the people assigned to this classification and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. The listed duties may be changed at the discretion of the incumbent’s manager/supervisor.
In addition to a competitive salary, Safe Haven offers an excellent health and retirement benefit package. It also offers a fantastic PTO package.
Safe Haven Ministries has an organizational commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion. In that spirit, we welcome all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex, ancestry, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, military status, disability, national origin, medical condition, U.S. veteran/military status, pregnancy, or reasonable accommodation.
Safe Haven Ministries supports women and children who are victims of domestic abuse. We embrace and celebrate the diversity of attributes that make them unique, whether age, disability, ethnicity, religious beliefs, family or marital statues, race, sexual orientation, U.S. veteran/military status, or socio-economic status. Our interactions demonstrate a firm commitment to inclusion, equity, and respect for every individual we have the privilege of serving.
Safe Haven Ministries is intentional in our efforts to recruit and retain staff and board members who differ from one another as well as understand and value all dimensions of diversity.
To apply, visit www.safehavenministries.org/employment. Complete the employment application and attach your resume and a cover letter.