JOB TITLE: Bilingual Family Advocate
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Client Services
HOURS: Full-time, non-exempt position; 40 hours/week
To apply, visit http://safehavenministries.org/employment/employee-application/.
The Bilingual Family Advocate is responsible for providing residential and non-residential trauma-informed, client-centered case management and advocacy services for survivors of domestic violence. Additionally, the Bilingual Family Advocate will provide translation and interpretive services that assist clients in assessing supportive services and resources as well as engaging in community outreach activities and advocating for organizational change processes to support culturally informed organizational policies and procedures.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers comprehensive residential and non-residential services; confidential emergency shelter for women and children fleeing domestic violence; psycho-educational support groups; individual case management and advocacy; and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Strive to create a caring and safe environment marked by empathy, understanding, and acceptance
- Utilize bilingual skills to serve survivors experiencing domestic violence
- Outreach and relationship building with agencies and communities to promote bilingual domestic violence services and awareness of Safe Haven programming
- Be available to clients to discuss problems and concerns by using active listening, problem-solving skills, and empathy in a professional manner
- Provide bilingual English/Spanish crisis intervention, information, and referral to individuals calling the hotline
- Provide trauma-informed and comprehensive assessment, case management, legal advocacy, and referral services to all clients with a focus on Hispanic and Latinx survivors
- Share on-call responsibilities
- Help resolve difficulties among/between clients as they arise and/or seek appropriate assistance through other staff
- Supervise interns as assigned
- Attend and participate in program meetings, weekly staff meetings, individual supervisions, staff in-services, and other meetings as assigned
- Submit all statistical and monthly reports to the Director of Client Services as necessary
- Ensure appropriate and timely data collection, maintain case notes, and complete client files
- Observe professional confidentiality; protect the rights of clients and their families and observe the Safe Haven Ministries Code of Ethics at all times
- Create and strengthen working relationships internally and with relevant community organizations
- Attend conferences and seminars to enhance knowledge and resources in the fields of social work and domestic violence
- Facilitate a culturally and linguistically appropriate educational support group for victims and survivors of domestic violence
- Facilitate bilingual Spanish/English domestic violence trainings with Director of Prevention & Education as needed
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS REQUIRED OR PREFERRED
- BSW or Bachelor’s degree in other related field required
- Fluency in Spanish (written and oral) required
- Must be able to demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to work in various environments including residential, non-residential, and community-based sites
- Availability to work evening or weekends when necessary
- Knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence; previous work with domestic violence preferred
- Active listening, crisis intervention, and problem resolutions skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A commitment to continued research, training, and education on issues of domestic violence and social work
- Strong computer skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to communicate with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Employees are required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Safe Haven is an EEO.