JOB TITLE: Residential Family Advocate
SUPERVISED BY: Residential Program Manager
HOURS: Full-time position, 40 hours/week; Typical 8am-5pm with some evening availability
To apply, visit http://safehavenministries.org/employment/employee-application/.
The Family Advocate is responsible for providing trauma-informed, client-centered case management and advocacy services for residents and their children enrolled in the Residential Program. Additionally, the Family Advocate leads a weekly psycho-educational support group.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers comprehensive residential and non-residential services: confidential emergency shelter for women and children fleeing domestic violence, psycho-educational support groups, individual case management and advocacy, and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Strive to create a caring and safe environment marked by empathy, understanding, and acceptance
- Be available to clients to discuss problems and concerns by using active listening, problem solving skills, and empathy in a professional manner
- Provide crisis intervention, information, and referral to individuals calling the hotline
- Provide trauma-informed and comprehensive assessment, case management, legal advocacy, and referral services to all residential clients as appropriate and in conjunction with other advocates
- Facilitate weekly psycho-education support group on a weekly basis; facilitate community-based support group on an as-needed basis
- Supervise interns as assigned
- Ensure appropriate and timely data collection, maintain case notes, and complete client files
- Share on-call responsibilities
- Attend and participate in program meetings, weekly staff meetings, individual supervisions, staff in-services, and other meetings as assigned
- Submit all statistical and monthly reports to the Director of Client Services as necessary
- Create and strengthen working relationships internally and with relevant community organizations
- Attend conferences and seminars to enhance knowledge and resources in the fields of social work and domestic violence
- Help resolve difficulties among/between clients as they arise and/or seek appropriate assistance through other staff
- Observe professional confidentiality; protect the rights of clients and their families and observe the Safe Haven Ministries Code of Ethics at all times
- Accept any additional tasks and responsibilities as necessitated and assigned; seek and solicit opportunities for personal and professional growth within the agency
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS REQUIRED OR PREFERRED
- This is a bachelor-level position; A BSW or Bachelor’s Degree in other related field is required
- Knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence; previous work with domestic violence strongly preferred
- Ability to communicate and work with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Active listening, crisis intervention, and problem resolutions skills
- Prefer experience with group facilitation and knowledge of group dynamics
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A commitment to continued research, training, and education on issues of domestic violence and social work
- Strong computer skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Employees are required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Safe Haven is an EEO.