Residential Program Manager
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Client Services
HOURS: Full-time, exempt; M-F 8AM-5PM with flexibility; on-call responsibilities; occasional non-traditional and weekend hours
Under general supervision, the Residential Program Manager oversees the operations, program development, and supervision of staff at Safe Haven’s emergency domestic violence shelter.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers confidential emergency shelter for women and children fleeing domestic violence; support groups, individual supportive counseling, and advocacy for women and children who do not require shelter; and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
Summary of Duties
- Strive to create a caring and safe environment marked by empathy, understanding, and acceptance
- Oversee daily operations of the residential program
- In coordination with the Director of Client Services, develop, plan, and implement programming to fulfill the mission and goals of the residential program and agency philosophy
- Coordinate and contribute to design of residential-based support groups and supportive services; ensure program goals and objectives are achieved throughout the year
- Supervise direct-service staff and volunteers within the residential program, including family advocates, shelter assistants, and shelter coordinator; this position will be responsible for occasionally meeting with shelter assistant staff on the weekend or non-traditional hours as needed
- In collaboration with the shelter coordinator, ensure SOPs related to the health and safety of the shelter are being maintained; assist in the coordination and communication of repair and maintenance needs
- In collaboration with the agency staff, communicate residential program volunteer needs, assist with the onboarding and training of residential program volunteers and interns, and ensure the success of day-of-service volunteer events
- In collaboration with the Director of Client Services, ensure that all necessary client records are maintained and accurately recorded regarding program activities and actions
- In collaboration with the Director of Client Services, design and implement routine evaluation and assessment tools; ensure the regular collection of client surveys; routinely assess and evaluate current program models as it relates to client feedback and trauma-informed best practices
- Oversee the collection of relevant demographics and statistics regarding clients and activities; provide monthly and quarterly reports to the Director of Client Services
- Provide shelter and hotline coverage as needed
- Assist in the development and ongoing review of policies and procedures involving residential services
- Monitor and maintain the Residential Program budget; generate monthly expense reports
- Create and strengthen partnerships with relevant community organizations; participate in community-based committees and task forces as assigned
- Provide input and make recommendations regarding the hiring and termination of staff, disciplinary actions, performance evaluations, and salary adjustments; in collaboration with staff, ensure the onboarding and training of new staff, interns, and volunteers
- Attend and participate in weekly and month staff meetings and committees as assigned
- Remain available for emergency shelter needs during non-traditional working hours
- Observe professional confidentiality; protect the rights of clients and their families and observe the Safe Haven Ministries Code of Ethics at all times
- Create and strengthen working relationships internally and with relevant community organizations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required or Preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred
- Proven leadership skills
- 2-3 years’ experience supervising staff required
- Strong administrative and time management skills required
- Experience working with victims/survivors of domestic abuse strongly preferred
- Demonstrated success with conflict management and crisis intervention
- Bilingual candidates strongly preferred, but not required
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Experience working in a residential program or setting strongly preferred
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence and trauma-informed programming
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds
In addition to a competitive salary, Safe Haven offers excellent health and retirement benefits, as well as a generous PTO package.
Safe Haven Ministries has an organization commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion. In that spirit, we welcome all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex, ancestry, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, military status, disability, national origin, medical condition, U.S. veteran/military status, pregnancy, or reasonable accommodation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Employees are required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Safe Haven is EEO.