SUPERVISED BY: Residential Program Manager
COMPENSATION: 8-24 hours per week; weekend day, evening, and overnight shifts; holidays
Pay Rate: $10.20/hour
Under general supervision, the Ramoth House Shelter Assistant is responsible for crisis intervention and ensuring safety and security of the Ramoth House emergency shelter.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a
multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers confidential emergency shelter for women and children fleeing domestic violence; support groups, individual supportive counseling, and advocacy for women and children who do not require shelter; and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
Summary of Duties
- Provide crisis intervention, information, and referral to victims/survivors calling the hotline
- Complete all emergency intake and exit procedures
- Perform safety checks, ensuring house safety
- Ensure shelter policies and procedures are followed by all residents
- Maintain data collection as required
- Perform tasks such as sorting donations, cleaning, and laundering in order to maintain an organized, safe shelter environment
- Assist with seasonal tasks such as shoveling snow, and salting designated areas
- Assist with and supervise evening volunteers
- Observe professional confidentiality; protect the rights of clients and their families and observe the Safe Haven Ministries Code of Ethics at all times
- Required attendance and participation in monthly staff and supervision meetings, staff in-services, and other meetings as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required or Preferred
- A minimum of a high school diploma/or GED is required. Additional education in social work, psychology, or related field is preferred. Bilingual is a plus
- Knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence
- Active listening, crisis intervention, and problem resolutions skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by ambassadors. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or qualifications of ambassadors. Ambassadors are required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. Safe Haven is an equal opportunity employer.