SUPERVISED BY: Executive Director
HOURS: Full-time; non-exempt 40 hours/week; typically M-F 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
PAY RATE: $18-$20/hour; generous PTO; 11 paid holidays; health, dental benefits and HSA with employee match; simple IRA with employee contribution
LOCATION: Grand Rapids, MI
Safe Haven is seeking a detail-oriented and self-starter to help support the work of the Executive Director and director-level staff. This role will add to our eclectic team who share a dedication to serving and enhancing the voices of those impacted by relationship abuse, while also working to prevent violence before it begins.
In addition to supporting the leadership team, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for the maintenance of a safe and welcoming lobby environment at Safe Haven Ministries. This includes welcoming victims and survivors, and greeting community partners. This role will also be responsible for overseeing basic HR responsibilities, such as onboarding paperwork for new hires.
A successful candidate will have experience supporting executive teams; will have strong written communication skills; and will have the ability to focus on details, while also being able to see the larger picture and plan ahead.
Bilingual candidates are strongly preferred and will be prioritized.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers comprehensive residential and non-residential services; confidential emergency shelter for individuals and families fleeing domestic violence; psycho-educational support groups; individual case management and advocacy; and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
Summary of Duties
- Calendar management, meeting coordination, email/phone communications, and other support as needed for Executive Director
- Serve as first point of contact for general organizational phone calls and walk-ins; triages needs and connects individual with appropriate staff member
- Monitor the front entrance security systems and screening visitors
- Provide hospitality to guests in waiting areas
- Receive donations & deliveries in coordination with the Residential Program Coordinator
- Receive, sort, and deliver mail
- Order office supplies, tracking inventory, and filing
- Supervise & coordinate front desk volunteers
- Manage administrative functions of agency website
- Oversight of onboarding process for new hires
- Maintain Organizational Chart, Board of Directors Roster, Staff Roster, Phone Extension List, Board Minutes
- Maintain compliance with LARA, MIOSHA, Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, and other entities
- Assist with shelter operations and maintenance
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required or Preferred:
- A minimum of two years of college, and/or relevant training or experience related to the core functions of this role
- 2-3 years’ experience as an executive assistant, administrative assistant or similar role
- Ability to multi-task and work with and implement the principles of effective administrative and office management
- Excellent oral and written communication and computer skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with all levels of internal management and staff and outside donors and vendors
- Ability to work independently
- Must be a self-starter
- Sensitivity to confidential matters required
- Knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence preferred but not required
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Employees are required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Safe Haven is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to a policy and culture of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants. People with disabilities, people of color, indigenous people and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Date last revised 3/18/21