JOB TITLE: Development Intern
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Development
HOURS: Part time, 5-10 hours per week (non-exempt). Internship period from January 2021-April 2021. Total hours are flexible within an agreed-upon schedule.
SALARY/BENEFITS: $500 stipend upon completion of the internship
POSITION DESCRIPTION: With appropriate training and guidance, the Development Intern will assist with donor communications, donor database management, and conduct research for grant writing. The intern will also be asked to self-select an area of interest to learn more about in the nonprofit or development field.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers comprehensive residential and non-residential services; confidential emergency shelter for individuals fleeing domestic violence; psycho-educational support groups; individual case management and advocacy; and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Learn and assist with donor communication and marketing strategies and campaigns, using a multi-channel approach (mail, phone, social media, and text messaging)
- Provide support to development team through donor database functions; including data entry, donor prospecting, reporting, and analytics
- Conduct timely research related to how the COVID-pandemic is affecting domestic violence survivors for inclusion into grant proposals
- Self-guided learning of the intern’s choice, with a summary of findings
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS REQUIRED OR PREFERRED
- Strong communication skills and ability to work independently
- Ability to write articulately and effectively for a variety of audiences across multiple mediums
- Proficiency in electronic communications, including social media and email
- Proficiency in basic computer applications and databases including G-Suite and Microsoft products
- A willingness to learn and stretch out of one’s comfort zone
- Sensitivity to confidentiality required
Safe Haven Ministries is dedicated to a policy and culture of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants. People with disabilities, people of color, indigenous people and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Safe Haven is an EEO.