Residential Program Manager
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Client Services
HOURS: Full-time, exempt; M-F 8AM-5PM with flexibility; on-call responsibilities; occasional non-traditional and weekend hours
SALARY/BENEFITS: $47,000-$50,000; Generous PTO; 11 paid holidays; health, dental benefits & HSA with employee match;
Simple IRA with employee contribution
Under general supervision, the Residential Program Manager oversees the operations, program development, and supervision of staff at Safe Haven’s emergency domestic violence shelter.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers confidential emergency shelter; support groups; individual case management; children’s programing; and primary prevention training and technical assistance for the entire community. Safe Haven is committed to serving all individuals impacted by relationship abuse and values creating a safe haven for all.
Summary of Duties
- Strive to create a caring and safe environment marked by empathy, understanding, acceptance and knowledge of community resources and systems.
- Oversee the daily operations of the residential program.
- In coordination with the Director of Client Services, develop, plan, and implement programming to fulfil the mission and goals of the residential program and agency philosophy.
- Coordinate and contribute to the design of residential-based support groups and supportive services; ensure program goals and objectives are achieved throughout the year.
- Provide supervision for residential staff and volunteers, including domestic violence advocates and shelter team; this position will be responsible for occasionally meeting with shelter assistant staff on the weekend or non-traditional hours as needed.
- In collaboration with the residential staff and Director of Client Services, ensure Standard Operating Procedures related to the health and safety of the shelter are developed and maintained; assist in the coordination and communication of repair and maintenance needs.
- Identify volunteer opportunities for the residential program, assist with the onboarding and training of residential program volunteers and interns, as well as, ensuring the success of day-of-service volunteer events.
- Ensure that all necessary client records, activities and actions are maintained and accurately recorded.
- Provide input on the design, and implementation of routine evaluation and assessment tools; ensure the regular collection of client surveys; routinely assess and evaluate current program models as it relates to client feedback and trauma-informed best practices.
- Oversee the collection of relevant demographics and statistics regarding clients and activities; provide monthly and quarterly reports.
- Provide shelter and hotline coverage as needed.
- Assist in the development and ongoing review of policies and procedures involving residential services.
- Monitor and maintain the Residential Program budget; generate monthly expense reports.
- Create and strengthen partnerships with relevant community organizations; participate in community-based committees and taskforces as assigned.
- Provide input and make recommendations regarding the hiring and termination of staff, disciplinary actions, performance evaluations, and salary adjustments; In collaboration with staff, ensure quality onboarding and training of new staff, interns and volunteers.
- Attend and actively participate in weekly and monthly staff meetings and committees as assigned.
- Remain available for emergency shelter needs during non-traditional working hours.
- Observe professional confidentiality; protect the rights of clients and their families and observe the Safe Haven Ministries Code of Ethics at all times.
- Create and strengthen working relationships internally and with relevant community organizations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required or Preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Bilingual candidates strongly preferred.
- Proven leadership skills.
- 2-3 years’ experience supervising staff.
- Strong administrative and time management skills required.
- Experience working with victims/survivors of domestic abuse, strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated success with conflict management and crisis intervention.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Experience working in a residential program or setting strongly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence and trauma informed programming.
- Ability to handle stressful situations and competing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License.
Additional Qualifications Desired
- Substance use and dependency, HIV/AIDS, mental illness and harm reduction strategies.
- Human behavior and family systems.
- Social and economic problems related to housing needs for those in lower income bracket.
- Available community resources.
Safe Haven is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to a policy and culture of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants. People with disabilities, people of color, indigenous people and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, please visit www.shmgr.org/employment.