Supervised By: Residential Program Coordinator
Hours & Status: Part-Time Non-Exempt; 8-24 hours per week; Primarily weekends, overnights, and holidays; some weekday hours.
Salary & Benefits: $13.00 per hour
Under general supervision of the Residential Program Coordinator, shelter assistants are responsible for crisis intervention and ensuring safety and security of the domestic violence emergency safe shelter. Shelter Assistants are also responsible for providing trauma-informed, client-centered supportive services as needed for residents and their children residing in Safe Haven’s shelter.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers comprehensive residential and non-residential services; confidential emergency shelter for individuals and families fleeing domestic violence; psycho-educational support groups; individual case management and advocacy; and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES (Essential Functions)
- Strive to create a caring and safe environment marked by empathy, understanding and acceptance
- Provide crisis intervention, support and referral to individuals reaching out for crisis support
- Be available to clients to discuss problems and concerns by using active listening, problem solving skills, and empathy in a professional manner
- Complete emergency intake and exit procedures as needed
- Maintain appropriate and accurate data collection and documentation
- Perform monitoring and safety checks, ensuring shelter safety
- Ensure shelter policies/procedures are followed by all residents
- Perform tasks such as sorting donations, taking inventory, cleaning, and laundering in order to maintain an organized and safe shelter environment
- Assist with seasonal tasks such as shoveling snow, and salting designated areas
- Observe professional confidentiality; protect the rights of clients and their families, and observe the Safe Haven Ministries Code of Ethics at all times
- Attend and participate in monthly professional development, individual supervision meetings, shelter assistant meetings, and other meetings as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED OR PREFERRED
- A minimum of a high school diploma/or GED is required
- Additional education in social work, psychology, or related field is preferred
- Knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence strongly preferred
- Active listening, crisis intervention, and problem resolutions skills required
- Strong organizational and administrative skills required
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Employees are required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Safe Haven is an equal opportunity employer and dedicated to a policy and culture of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants. People with disabilities, people of color, indigenous people and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.