JOB TITLE: Full-Time Shelter Assistant (second shift)
SUPERVISED BY: Residential Program Manager
HOURS: 40 hours per week; Monday through Friday 4:00 PM-12:00 AM
Under general supervision, the Ramoth House Shelter Assistant is responsible for crisis intervention and ensuring safety and security of the Ramoth House emergency shelter. This position is also responsible for providing trauma-informed, client-centered case management services as needed for residents and their children living at Ramoth House domestic violence shelter.
Safe Haven Ministries—a nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids, Michigan—believes in a multi-faceted approach to serving victims/survivors of domestic violence and preventing domestic violence in our community. Safe Haven offers comprehensive residential and non-residential services: confidential emergency shelter for individuals and families fleeing domestic violence, psycho-educational support groups, individual case management and advocacy, and primary prevention training and outreach for the entire community.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Strive to create a caring and safe environment marked by empathy, understanding, and acceptance
- Provide crisis intervention, information, and referral to victims/survivors calling the hotline
- Provide domestic violence support to clients in conjunction with other advocates/assistants
- Be available to clients to discuss problems and concerns by using active listening, problem-solving skills, and empathy in a professional manner
- Perform monitoring and house safety checks
- Ensure shelter policies and procedures are followed by all residents
- Help resolve difficulties among/between clients as they arise and/or seek appropriate assistance with other staff
- Ensure appropriate and timely data collection
- Perform tasks such as sorting donations, cleaning, and laundering in order to maintain an organized, safe shelter environment
- Assist with seasonal tasks such as shoveling snow and salting designated areas
- Assist advocates with educational support groups as necessary
- Observe professional confidentiality; protect the rights of clients and their families and observe the Safe Haven Ministries Code of Ethics at all times
- Required attendance and participation in monthly staff and supervision meetings, in-staff services, and other meetings as assigned
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES REQUIRED OR PREFERRED
- A minimum of a high school diploma or GED is required. Additional education in social work, psychology, or related field is preferred.
- Bilingual is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of the dynamics of domestic violence is preferred
- Active listening, crisis intervention, and problem resolution skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Employees are required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Safe Haven is an EEO.